Saturday, December 2, 2017

Ecos Postumos Interview


1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Before anything I would like to say that I appreciate very much the attention and support that you gave to Ecos Póstumos.
Recently I was hospitalized to treat depression and borderline mental disorder that struck me harder after the suicide of my uncle, who has killed himself in my parents' house, giving me the sad job to take him from the gallows. So I've decided to use the music to express my battle against this disease, and with it I try to externalize all the sadness and at the same

2. Recently you have released a demo, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

I describe it as a raw and gloomy music, with the muffled vocals to represent the despair of those who are suffering from mental disorders, chainsaw like hypnotic guitars with the 90s black metal feel (like Darkthrone and Burzum) and cold synthesizer lines. The bass and the drums are my first instruments and although in a modest way, they come with important details to enrich the compositions. The lo-fi style of the record was made with purpose and refers to the style of musical productions mades by names as ColdWorld, old Burzum and Mayhem, and the old Azaghal, one of my favorite black metal bands (mainly the album Mustamaa).

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

The lyrics are poems that I've made to express the daily battle against the mental disorders, and to make people see that depression is most common disease than really the people think. We can consider it a conceptual work about the routine and the feelings of a depressed patient. If someone is interested I can send the translations of the lyrics to english, just ask me in the e-mail: ecospostumos@gmail.com

4. What are the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ecos Postumos'?

Echoes Póstumos meaning in English is "Posthumous Echoes", and refers to the memories that sometimes we have of those who had passed away. The name came in the year of 2012, and the first song that I've made are available on YouTube by the name "A Agonia da Mãe Morta" (The Agony of the Dead Mother).

5. With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer the solo route?

I've some friends that will help me with the live performances, including my older brother Diogo Nascimento (bass) and my great friend João Martioro (guitars from Christophobia), I will play drums and sing, and maybe have one of my best friends Alex Hulala on the Keyboards. Maybe someday Ecos Póstumos may turn to be a band, let's see after the release of the official album

6. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
If someone has interest in release the stuff just give me a shout, I don't have a financial interest, just want to make my music being listened. Me and my friend from Christophobia are preparing some limited physical copies that will be available soon.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of depressive and suicidal black metal?

I have some friends in Ukraine, Hungary, Germany, Japan and in the USA that support my work, and they seem to have enjoyed a lot the work. I'm very happy with the feedback till now.

8. Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects?

I've played and was the former member of Nephilim Horde, who have some works available on YouTube (Black Metal Blood - Demo 2011 and Failure EP), also had a project by the name "Forgotte Heaven", that have some stuff available on YouTube too, and have recorded the first EP of Christophobia, called "O Abismo", but have left the band to my mate João Martioro, because of the depression treatment. I'm a professional musician and have played guitar in an Iron Maiden tribute band, played bass in a Hard Rock tribute band, I'm an ex member of a Heavy Metal band called "Thunderlord" and in the present moment I play with a Crossover/Thrash Metal band called "Kaosfera", keeping the band in the name of a friend of mine and the former member, that have sadly died some years ago. But my main project is Ecos Póstumos, and I intend to spend a lot a time working on the debut album.

9. Where will you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I want to be a better musician and composer, and be able to explore even more sad and chaotic melodies, always with humility and simplicity, to me, the secrets to keep evolving in the musical scene.

10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I listen to a variety of musical styles... but my favorite artists are Burzum, old Mayhem, Darkthrone, Azaghal, Old Enthroned, Cold World, Alcest, Limbonic Art, Dissection and something like that. Other bands that I like very much are Pink Floyd, Marillion, Blind Guardian, Running Wild, Iron Maiden, Grave Digger, Six Feet Under, Kreator and some random shit as old games soundtracks like Castlevania and electronic music like Kreftwerk.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I like to read about occultism, history and politics, also like poetry and sci-fi books. My favorite books are "The Satanic Bible" (Anton LaVey), "1984" (George Orwell) and Jules Verne books. Also like cats (my cat Crowley is with me all the time), spend time with my wife and play retro games.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I would like to thank you and Occult Black Metal zine for the important work that you made to the Black Metal and the music scene in general.
Also would like to invite anyone to listen and download Ecos Póstumos "Diário de um Suicida" in the band camp:
https://ecospstumos.bandcamp.com/releases
If anyone needs something just send me an e-mail to: ecospostumos@gmail.com
And to finish: Hail Satan!

1 comment: