Sunday, September 1, 2013

Rosemount Hill Interview

  •  

  • 1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the project?
    Rosemount Hill was created a year ago, when I was 15 years old, as a way to play music, plain and simple. I was a musical novice at the time, and was just starting to explore music. Before Rosemount I had another project, which was awful. Through my mistakes I’ve developed and created some music of which I’m fairly proud of.
    2.So far you have released 2 demos, can you describe the musical sound that is present on both recordings and also how they do differ from each other?
    The first demo was very raw. Everything was recorded in one take, and it was meant to be a concept album about finding an old cassette, and playing it on an old dusty tape deck. Melancholy was meant to be well produced and more mature. I spent hours mixing and mastering the tracks, trying to get it to an almost professional sound, at least as best as I could with the equipment I have.
    3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you have explored with both recordings?
    While only Fourteen Days has vocals and lyrics, they were written in reference to a local beach near y home, where I spent a lot of time at as a child; meeting people, playing in the sand. Memories.
    4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?
    Rosemount Hill is derived by another location of my childhood. Near my home there is a rock cut off the side of the highway. It’s one of my favourite places to relax and think. I called it Rosemount Hill many years ago, and I couldn`t think of a better fitting name for the band.
    5.Currently there is only 1 person involved in the project, are you open to having other musicians work on this project in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
    The band is indeed a one man project. At one point I was extremely open to other musicians, especially a drummer, but I`ve decided that I`d rather keep it as a solo project. This way I can use all the ideas I have, and not have to dilute it with how other people think.
    6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?
    I am very interested in a record label. I’ve received a small amount of interest, but I’m still very open to any offers. I’d really like to release the EP as a cassette. If any label is interested, Please feel free to contact me!
    7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and post rock?
    From what I have seen, the music has been fairly well received, A few good reviews, a few mediocre ones, and a couple negative ones. I’m just making the music I enjoy, I don’t really care what people think, however I’m very open to constructive criticism. I know I’m not perfect, nor will I ever be.
    8.Are you currently involved with any other musical projects?
    As of right now I also play bass in a Hardcore Punk band. I joined mostly for the ability to perform live, which I really enjoy.While I’m not on any recordings as of late, feel free to check it out here. fistfightwithgandhi.bandcamp.com
    9.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
    A lot of the music I write is influenced by my surroundings, living in northern Canada, nature is all around me. You see the living green trees, and the sunlight, which represents the lighter side of my music. If you look past this growth however, you can see the deadfall and decaying of the forest floor. This represents the heavier side. Musically, bands like Deafheaven, Darkthrone and Mogwai played a huge role in the way I crafted my music.
    10.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
    Outside of music, I race dirtbikes, which takes up a major part of my time. Other than that, I’m an average 16 year old kid. I go to school, I go to parties, I play sports. I work at McDonalds.
    11.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
    Before we go, I’d like to say that if anyone would like to chat, I’m also open to conversation! Feel free to message me on facebook and the like! Thanks for reading and taking the time to write these questions! It really means a lot to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment