Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Evergreen Refuge Interview


 1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
1. Evergreen Refuge is an instrumental folk, metal, and ambient project born to express feelings I have had in nature.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
2. Folk and post-rock influenced black metal. 

3.What are some of the concepts and images you bring out with  your music?
3. The concepts for each album vary, for the most part. I'd rather not give away the meanings that they have to me personally, as to leave the music abstract for the listeners. However, what I can say is that the first three albums of mine are much more based on the spirituality and solitude of being in nature whereas the newer stuff is coming at it from much more of a desperate angle. Hopefully the listeners will understand...

4.So far all of the released material has been instrumental, do you plan on using vocals in the future?
4. It's hard to say. I have recorded bits of vocals in the past, but they haven't turned out the way I wanted. So it is possible, but it depends on the release.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
5. The name "Evergreen Refuge" came about while I was backpacking. It partly comes from the idea that nature, currently, is a refuge from the self-destructive civilization that we have constructed. It also comes from the feeling that I had that nature is my home. 
"Going to the mountains is going home." -John Muir

6.Currently there is only 1 member in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
6. There are no plans, currently, of collaboration under the name of "Evergreen Refuge." Evergreen Refuge is based on my own personal feelings and thoughts and I feel that those would be lost in collaboration. However, I would be open to collaboration under another name, as long as the other people share the same vision as I do. 

7.Recently you have released a split album with Deafest, what are your thoughts on the other band that participated?
7. Deafest is a great band also from Colorado, as well as a friend of mine. We share many of the same thoughts with regards to nature. It was great working alongside him. 

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
8. My music has spread to a few places in the world. Based on my CD sales, I have had folks in Europe, Japan, and Russia buy my CD. 

9.Are you involved with any other musical projects?
9. Yes, I am involved in a solo ambient project. 

10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
10. It's hard to say what direction I will be heading in. My music seems to guide me, I don't guide it. However, I will say that the next full-length that I am currently immersed in is partly folk-based but much more heavy. 

11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
11. Ambient music has influenced my music quite a bit. I've listened to ambient for a long time now and I always appreciated the musicians' approach to creating music. I have also been influenced by folk music, particularly those from Cascadia, as well as post-rock and post-metal, particularly Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Nowadays, I have been listening to a few folk-punk bands such as Blackbird Raum as well as hardcore punk. I've also been listening to a bit of ambient music, such as Steve Roach and Liquid Mind. 

12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
12. Outside of music, I am interested in hiking and backpacking, as well as reading and growing food, among many others.  

13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview? 
13. Thanks for your time and thanks to all that listen to my music, I really appreciate it. 


Bandcamp
Facebook
Tumblr




1 comment:

  1. Okay seriously? Light grey text on a white background?

    ReplyDelete